The Prelude
Every gathering now is tainted by an air of sadness and loss- every one of these moments is now one of the final. There are some whose goodbye is a repeat of the usual, the one expressed when leaving university for the holiday, a temporary, trivial goodbye subconsciously followed by an eventual 'hi, I missed you', it comes around soon. For others, whose presence I commit to at least once a week, whose character holds a place in my mind every minute of every day, the concept of goodbye constricts my throat, deters me from leaving at all.
Greece is not that far from home. A short flight, a bus ride, a long wait, a time change... but it is a trip only those who matter will make time for. From the relationships I have set up, the places I have made my own, the experiences which have defined me, it is a whole world away. A world away from the people whose lives I was once a part of, the lives which now regretfully continue without that missing piece, the lives which fill the gap which eventually cannot be unfilled again.
What lies across the water is a new life, a life 2 hours ahead. Once I cross over, who is to say I will be able to cross straight back, fit back in with my old life, live 2 hours behind again? Once time moves forward, it cannot move back. This is a story about the tension between lives, belonging, change. A transition.



Comments
Post a Comment